A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO SET YOURSELF UP FOR ENHANCED EXPOSURE, CREDIBILITY, AND MUSIC SALES
Welcome to the Hip Hop Musicpreneurs guide to set up your brand online as an independent artist from start to finish so you can enhance your online Exposure, credibility, and music sales.
- Credibility: People will see you as being believable or worthy of trust
- Respect: People will see that you’re putting in the work that’s needed to succeed
- Opportunity: When people take you serious, new doors will open up for you
- Exposure: You will be able to be found easily online by fans and important people.
- Music Sales: The days of selling CD’s are virtually gone. Now you’re in the Open Stream.
If you want to be a successful independent artist you need to have everything set up like a serious independent artist. If you haven’t already, it’s time to start putting in real work. Success requires action.
This page is a starting point to help you with 3 core objectives
- Set up you brand online to enhance your recognition and music sales
- Provide valuable resources
- Give you action steps to take to get results
I’d appreciate it if you click the Like, Tweet and Google+ buttons to share this guide with your friends and followers.
Lets get started…
Get a Website and Make Sure It’s Ready For Your Fans
This seems obvious. But it’s the most important step.
Every independent artist needs to have a website. It’s the home base of your music, your story and your brand. The resources below are the exact ones I used to create HipHopMusicpreneur.com
- Set up Your Web Hosting: In order to have a website you will need a domain name and web hosting. If you’re just starting out, I recommend that you take advantage of the Blue Host $3.95 deal. The best part is that it comes with a free domain name, which is your website address – Example:(www.YourSite.Com)
- Install Word Press on Your Web Host: Word Press is where you will actually set up your site design and add your music and other content. Blue Host makes it easy for you to install Word Press with their 1 click Word Press Installation.
- Get a theme for your website: No need to be a web designer. You can download some nice themes specifically for musicians for free here. If you don’t know how to install a theme on Word Press, here are the step-by-step instructions with screenshots.
Here’s some things you need to include on your site after you get your web hosting, domain name and theme.
- A Blog page: All Word Press sites are blogs, so this is easy to do.
- A Music/Shop Page: This is where you will have links to your music for purchase.
- A Videos Page: This is where you will have your music videos
- An Events Page: This is where you will post your upcoming events, shows, etc.. Here’s a good Word Press Plugin to post your events. And Here is how to install Word Press plugins
- A Lyrics Page: This is where your fans can see the lyrics to your released songs.
- Social Media Buttons: Every page on your site including all of your blog post need to have social media sharing buttons on them so your fans can share your content.
- An Email Sign Up Page: This is so important that I created a separate step for it. We will get to it later.
NOTE: If there’s ever anything you want to add on to your website, remember there is always a Word Press plugin that will do the job.
Here is Eminems official website. Take a look at it and notice how he has it set up so you can get some ideas.
Here is an info graphic showing you why blogging is so important to your success. This applies to all businesses. Yes, YOU as an independent artist are a business and a brand. So you have to start thinking and acting like a business if you want to make it.
Set Up Your Social Media Presence
Your social media presence is what is going to help you with all aspects of your music promotion.
The 3 foundational reasons to use social media.
- Build word-of-mouth for your brand/music: Your music and other content can be spread around the world with the right strategy.
- Connect with important people in the industry: Bloggers, producers, journalists, A&R’s, Fans, etc…
- Build a fan base; by building relationships with the people you connect with.
Here’s an info-graphic with more details to show you how important it is to have a presence on social media as a business.
After the info- graphic, I’ll tell you exactly which social media sites you need to get set up on to get you the best results as an independent artist.
Where to Set Up Your Social Media Presence
There’s 4 key social media sites you should focus on to build your presence.
1. Create a Facebook Fan Page/Business Page: This is where you will gain the majority of your fans and build relationships with them.
If you don’t already have a Facebook page, here’s a short video I found that will show you how to set it up step-by-step. The volume is a little low for the first few seconds, but don’t worry it will fix.
2. Set Up A Twitter Profile: This is where you can make connections with not only fans but important contacts such as Bloggers, producers, journalists, A&R’s, etc…
If you don’t don’t have a Twitter profile already, here’s a short video that will walk you through setting one up step-by-step.
3. Set Up a You Tube Channel: This is where existing and potential fans can find your videos.
If you don’t already have a You Tube channel, here’s a video that will walk you through the process step-by-step.
4. Set Up a LinkedIn Profile: This is where you will do your networking with important businesses and people such as Bloggers, producers, journalists, A&R’s, Promoters, etc…
If you don’t have a LinkedIn profile yet, make sure you get one. Here’s a short video that will walk you through how to set one up step-by-step.
Get an Email Service Provider
This is a MUST. An email service provider (ESP) is a company that offers email marketing or bulk email services. They allow you to build email lists and send automated messages to your fans. This is what you are going to need when you have fans sign up for your newsletter or fan mail.
How It Works
- Fans can sign up to for your newsletter from your Website/Blog by filling in an opt-in form to provide you with their email.
- You will occasionally send them a newsletter or updates about your brand or music and any other content. The purpose is to build a personal relationship with your fans through email
- After growing your list and building a relationship with them with your newsletter, you can easily sell them your music, merchandise and tickets to your shows.
Most of your money will be made through your email list. Period
- Sign up with a good email service provider: I highly recommend that you use Aweber. It is by far the best email service provider and super cheap. The best part is the first month is FREE
Why Use Aweber?
Create an Email Newsletter With Aweber
Send Your First Email Newsletter Today – AWeber Communications
If this info was helpful to you Sign up for more music marketing tips below.
Just enter your name and your best email address below.
Very helpful & intelligent dude, most definitely somebody i plan on working with
Best advise I've gotten concerning the music industry!
Always giving helpful information that helps artist reach goals and achieve growth in our fan base
Practical content and strategies. I got the Facebook Superfan Formula and saw results in the first post I made.
Smart guy this one is... You should really listen to what he has to say
Hands down the realest out here! Nothing scammy or fishy about Johnny at all. He is very informative and will put you on the right track to success. Love his insight!!!
Johnny Fame is incredible. The knowledge he shares is beyond description if you don't walk away better then it's on you.. He has so many tid bits of info to grow your career. Keep up the great work.
Great Source For Real Tips And Advice On How To Move Strategically In This Music Game!
Thanks for all your help Johnny. I appreciate you.
He gives out really good advice you just gotta be willing to put in the time to make his techniques work for ya and expand your brand.